Breaking Pinellas and Pasco county news, local sports and events, and weather from Suncoast News | | Suncoast News
Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015
  • Home
Pinellas News

Fire destroys Largo mobile home; candles cited by owners
Published:   |   Updated: May 16, 2013 at 04:45 PM

The owners of a Largo mobile home said they left candles burning inside during a trip to buy fast-food Tuesday. When they returned, their home was on fire, officials said.

Officials said the fire apparently destroyed the mobile home at Kings Manor Estates, 1399 Belcher Road, Lot 140.

Arson detectives from the Largo Police Department and state fire marshal's office were investigating.

The homeowners were not at the residence during the fire, according to a news release from the police department, which responded to the scene along with firefighters.

"They indicated that they had left candles burning while they went to McDonald's," police Lt. Mike Loux said in the news release. "Upon their return they found their mobile home fully engulfed by fire."

The homeowners' cat was missing and presumed to be inside the structure during the fire, Loux said. However, they took their pet dog with them.